The CyberKnife System is a device that falls into an equipment group called stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT). It is the only radiation therapy technology that tracks tumor motion and automatically corrects the aim of the treatment beam when movement is detected. This allows it to deliver radiation with sub-millimeter accuracy. As a result, the radiation is directed to where it counts most, the prostate and the radiation dose falls off steeply around the healthy tissue that surrounds the prostate.
The BIG PLUSES:
- All CyberKnife facilities follow exactly the same set of procedures
- Procedure is done over 4 or 5 consecutive days for 1 hour each day
- Currently, there are over 150 CyberKnife Centers in the United States which offer treatment of prostate cancer
- Immediate return to daily activities
Tomotherapy® is a mode of radiation which consists of helical radiotherapy using a computed tomography (CT) like gantry and a rotating radiation beam that passes through the prostate tumor.Â It offers the highest precision with daily 3D image guidance in the most advanced design for true treatment accuracy. This assures both treating physician and patient of precision and safety from treatment.
The BIG PLUSES:
- Performed on an outpatient basis
- Daily sessions are given over a period of five to nine weeks. Each session involves a 2-3 minute CT scan to align the image, followed by three to five minutes for beam delivery
- Precisely guided radiation allows higher doses with theoretically lower side-effects